Saturday, April 2, 2016

Sepia Saturday: Hee Hawwwwww

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2016/03/sepia-saturday-324-2-april-2016.html



 I saw the quadruped in the prompt photo and thought, "Oh yes. I got this."

 Because, although MY family has no photos of this sort.... My husband's side has a curious amount. And these aren't burros in Mexico from his Lopez side. They are photos of Italians from Chicago sitting on donkeys or horses. An unusual amount photos. ;) So this was a perfect opportunity to share some!

Let's say hi to Uncle Lou, again! You may recall him from a different Sepia Saturday post "driving" a steer in Hot Springs. In all his posed photos and postcards written home, (and mob ties, cough cough), he seems to be quite the character! He's made me laugh a few times, and I've never even met the guy.



Postcard Worthy: Two Chicago Italians in suits and newsie caps on little donkeys in the thick of Arkansas. 
(Lou is on the right)


The postcard was sent to his sister Jennie, my husband's 2nd great grandmother.  When he gives his regards to "Smooth" I'm going to guess he was referring to her husband, Tony Schavone.


Mr. Tony Schavone. Quite Smooth indeed.....but he isn't riding anything, so I will move on.....

Moving on.......



          Above is another Italian American, Christ McLane (Married to George McLane) in her dress and heels,  who, although is not riding her burro, she is lovingly standing beside it. They clearly enjoy each other. Who doesn't like their ears scratched, right?!




 Obviously not a donkey, but a hoofed cousin, so he counts. This is poor little Peter Schavone, ca 1920's who looks like he would love to enjoy this photo op, but Santa is just a little too creepy....



 See? Absolutely frightening.


 Peter just can't escape! And this time it's not even a horse. It's a deer who just returned from the taxidermist. Poor Peter.



 Ahh, here we go. Peter is a couple years younger here. Maybe he pulled these happier memories of ponies out of his file while in the grips of the creepy santa.... "remember the good times. remember the good times......"
He's so cute, isn't he?


Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you next Saturday!



19 comments:

  1. A lovely series. I'm a bit curious about how Smooth got his nickname.... (ahem...)
    I feel for Peter. Seems like a trend that Santas have to be creepy.
    I have very little pictures of those days but you'll see, in due time,
    that my memories of Santa give shivers as well.
    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious about that nickname as well! My husband suggested maybe he was good at getting out of trouble with the police. I had other thoughts. :) Hopefully some knowledgeable family can chime in if they know.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The incongruousness of Lou & the other man riding donkeys while dressed in full suits with street shoes had me laughing. But poor Peter & the Santa pictures he was forced to endure. We set our son up to meet Santa in a store one year. He got within 3 feet of the red-suited, white bearded fellow & refused to get any closer. Santa kept trying to lure him closer by holding out candy canes to no avail. No way was our son getting any closer, not to mention sitting on the fat man's lap! He gave his pitch for what he wanted for Christmas, then walked away with a handful of candy canes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't help but laugh either! I imagine what it would have been like had the donkey been in an unruly mood and tramped off with one of these city boys bouncing around on his back holding on for dear life while he kicks up dust. Haha! I'm sure that would have been a sight... :)
      BTW, I don't blame your son. I am sure it's the same with the Easter Bunny.... I've seen some downright terrifying photos of Easter Bunnies.....

      Delete
  3. A nice collection of photos. I like the one with Christ McLane. That is my preferred position with a donkey. Do you know where it was taken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am not sure where it was taken. It could very well be the same place as Louis in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

      Delete
  4. The Santa is really scary. Great collection of photos and entertaining narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed your ancestors and their riding prowess! Especially like the lovely and gentle lady with her donkey. There is always someone who stands out in photos. Really nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She was married to George McLane, a bartender in Chicago who "ratted" out Capone and agreed to testify. A lot of interesting people we come across in our pasts, right?! :)

      Delete
  6. Tony Schavone sounds like a perfect name for some character from The Godfather movie, but your husband's Tony looks and was perfectly innocent I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes! But with the nickname "Smooth" I'm not so sure ;)

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos but my favourite is the one of Christ, doing what I like to do when I get the chance occasionally, which is hug a donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful medley! The evolution of Santa's image from the early branches of Saint Nicolas and Father Christmas would make an interesting theme. My mother has some antique figurines where Santa looks more like the wizard Gandalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with that thought! What a neat theme that would be.

      Delete
  9. I remember the excitement of getting to "ride a pony to get my picture taken." It wasn't a ride at all, but all this posing for the camera stuff. Not fun. But it's neat to have my photo years later, as well as one of my son's. Somehow someone had to arrange to have the pony and photographer show up, and I missed it for the other 2 sons. Well, a real pony ride would have been more fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that pony caretaker and photographer man were a thing back in those days. They'd make their way through neighborhoods going house to house. I'd say there are worse ways to earn a living. ☺️ I wouldn't have minded it but I'd feel bad for every crying kid getting booted off the pony for the next guy without getting the ride he thought he was in for.

      Delete
  10. With the size of those ears I'm betting those Italians might be sitting on mules.

    ReplyDelete